Everyone’s computer hard drive is virtually always full. Furthermore, due to file size limitations, we are frequently unable to deliver huge files over the Internet. Thankfully, WinRAR can assist you in resolving these difficulties and reducing your files by utilizing a variety of compression strategies. This article will explain how to use WinRAR on Windows 11.
Compressing and decompressing files on your computer may be done with a variety of third-party software. WinRAR, on the other hand, is one of the most effective and user-friendly utilities.
If you haven’t already accomplished so, you’ll need to install WinRAR on your computer before you can utilize it.
WinRAR for Windows 11: The Procedure to Download and Install
You must first simply download WinRAR from its official website, which is similar to downloading and installing any other third-party program.
- To begin, go to win-rar.com/download and hit the ‘Download’ option on the page. After doing this, the application Winrar commences downloading on your device.
- From the File Explorer interface, navigate to the default downloads location. Then, to launch the installation package on your PC, double-click the .EXE file you just received.
- Afterward, on your computer, a UAC (User Account Control) window will pop up. Input the login details for an administrator account if you don’t already have one. Otherwise, continue by pressing the ‘Yes’ option.
- If you want to alter the default installation folder then use the ‘Browse’ option on the installer page to launch a File Explorer window and manually pick the destination. Instead, use the ‘Install’ button to begin the setup process on your pc.
- Next, on the installer’s settings option, underneath the ‘Associate WinRAR with’ part, press the ‘Toggle all’ option to expand all supported file types with WinRAR.
- Choose the checkbox next to the ‘Add WinRAR to Desktop’ item if you want a WinRAR shortcut on your desktop. Finally, if you want to continue, press the ‘OK’ tab.
- On the following page, hit the ‘Done’ button to exit the window and complete the WinRAR installation.
The Procedure for WinRAR File Compression
After you’ve loaded WinRAR on your computer, you may either zip huge files or unzip receiving folders to retrieve their contents. The procedure is straightforward and requires no effort on your part.
- To begin, go to the file/group of files you want to compact. Simply press CTRL on your keyboard and hover on the files with the left mouse button to pick several files at once. Then, while the cursor is lingering over any of the chosen files, hit the right mouse button to open the context menu.
- Furthermore, enlarge the ‘WinRAR’ box by hovering over it, then selecting the ‘Add to archive’ choice to proceed. On your computer, a WinRAR window will be displayed.
- Meanwhile, in the newly opened window, put the name you want to give the zipped folder in the text box located just beneath the ‘Archive name’ section. If you want to generate the zipped folder somewhere other than the current location of the files chosen, use the ‘Browse’ option.
- Following that, you must choose the archive type. WinRAR uses the ‘ZIP’ format, which provides the most compatibility and can be opened by most operating systems.
- RAR, on the other hand, is a unique format that requires third-party software to open. Choose the radio button preceding the choice necessary and beneficial for your use case under the ‘Archive format’ column.
- Then, underneath the ‘Compression technique’ option, pick the dropdown menu. You can use the ‘Fastest’ method to generate an archive of your selected files/folders in a short amount of time, but it will not give much compression. Simultaneously, selecting the ‘Best’ option will provide outstanding compression but will do it slowly. As a result, choose one of the solutions based on your convenience and availability.
If you want to break the volumes into equal parts, pick a base unit from the dropdown menu underneath the ‘Split to volumes, sizes’ area, such as B, KB, MB, or GB. Now, write a number in the text box next to the base unit selection on the left, or use the dropdown to choose a specific value.
- You may additionally encrypt the compressed folder by adding a password to it by choosing the ‘Set password’ option if you are keeping or transferring important material.
- After that, hit the ‘OK’ option to generate an archive that adheres to your settings.
- If the files are large and adequate, generating an archive may take some minutes; wait anxiously for WinRAR to finish. You may also utilize the ‘Background’ option to archive the files in the background while you work on other things on your computer.
- The compressed subfolder will be located in the location you specified when it was generated. If you didn’t choose a specific directory, the compressed folder will be in the same directory as the files you decided to compress.
The Procedure to retrieve Files from a Zipped Folder
If you’ve got a compressed folder by email or another way, you may quickly unzip it with WinRAR.
- To begin, right-click on the zip format you want to unzip to show the menu bar. Secondly, from the context menu, mouse on the ‘WinRAR’ file to display the sub-menu, and select ‘Extract files’ to proceed.
- From the right area of the newly created window, find and click the directory where you want to unzip the files. If you don’t provide a specific area, your files will be extracted by default in the same directory as your compacted folder.
- By selecting the box next to the ‘Display files in Explorer’ item under the ‘Miscellaneous’ tab, you may have WinRAR open the directory immediately after the extraction is finished. Once you’ve set the options to your liking, click the ‘OK’ box in the bottom right corner to begin extracting the files.
It may take a long time to extract all of the files if they are huge. The extraction window of WinRAR allows the user to monitor the status of retrieved files and the estimated time. Additionally, if you want to utilize your PC for something else and are willing to give the extraction operation a limited impact, select the ‘background’ option in the window. This will maintain the extraction process going in the background while using less RAM than usual on your PC.
Finally, this is how you can use Winrar to compress and extract files or folders on Windows 11.